How to Help Clients Tone Up the Skin this Summer
It’s officially summer and chances are your clients have been focused on toning up their skin. Given the warm climate, how can you help them achieve their goals and what formulas are best to use?
Lotions and toners offer a great solution. Not only do these formulas help combat environmental agers, they also provide the skin a workout. They do this by removing debris and lipids then delivering moisture, nutrients and antioxidants deep into skin tissues. Many formulas actually have moisture-bonding properties to fight trans-epidermal water loss. How can you best utilize these powerful formulas in the treatment room and as part of a client’s home care regimen?
Maximizing the Results
In the treatment room toners and lotions may be used as second-phase cleansers, to de-fat the skin prior to enzyme and acid applications, to provide antibacterial support following extractions, or to enhance rejuvenating treatments.
At home, these can be used to refresh the skin throughout the day (during the summer they may be chilled in the refrigerator), maintain pH balance and hydration, support a skin-rejuvenating program, and provide antioxidant support.
At a glance, some of the ingredients that give toners and lotions their healing, hydrating, rejuvenating, and nourishing qualities, include:
- Deuterium oxide (D2O) – (aka heavy water) has a heavy molecular weight to deliver moisture deep into skin, prevent trans-epidermal water loss and resist free radical transportation.
- L-sodium PCA – a component of the skin’s natural moisturizing factor, PCA is an ultra-potent humectant with moisture-binding capabilities.
- Witch Hazel – a rich antioxidant and astringent that soothes and heals problematic skin conditions.
- Phospholipids – Sphingolipids – complex fat substances that have moisturizing and emollient benefits. Sphingolipids also works as a ceramide precursor to restore damaged corneum layers.
- L-Sodium Hyaluronate – (aka hyaluronic acid) a principal water-regulating molecule, binding up to 6,000 times its weight in water. It plumps, lubricates, moisturizes, and prevents trans-epidermal water loss.
- Resveratrol – derived from red grapes, it provides potent antioxidant benefits.
Types of Formulas
There’s a lotion and toner for nearly any skin type and geared towards any skin-health goal, and should be matched based on skin needs. To give you an idea of the variety and how these may be customized to your program, here is a glance at the lotions and toners we offer:
- Cucumber Spritz – this heavy water revitalizes, freshens and gives skin a “drink of water” providing skin with the much-needed moisture content lost daily.
- Pumpkin Lotion – designed to freshen and tone skin after cleansing. The rinse also balances hydration while plumping skin tissue. The naturally occurring nutrients in pumpkin provide valuable antioxidant and regenerating support.
- Brightening Pigment Lotion – a unique toner with a grouping of next-generation lighteners, including daisy flower extract, which are partnered with balancing and rebuilding nutrients to support the reduction of melanin formation and assist in brightening skin tone. It also contains high levels of moisturizers and antioxidants to improve skin radiance.
- Beta Green Tea Lotion – a refreshing skin toner that balances oil, provides antioxidant support, and purifies toxic skin issues.
- Berry Wine Lotion – an all-natural liquid lotion that freshens, smoothes and balances oil production. Using Resveratrol and toning and firming AHAs, it also has potent regenerating, age reversal and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Fruit Acid Botanical – this formula is 100 percent botanical and works to target problematic areas, but with a more gentle approach. It is ideal for men’s skin and those new to more active formulas.
- ReZone – from our men’s line, this is made of sake rice wine, minerals and specialty teas to refine and balance the skin, which also helps prevent ingrown hairs and razor bumps.
- Stone Power – a powerful skin-strengthening toner that infuses the skin with peptides and stone extracts.
Aside from supporting an overall skin care program, lotions and toners also make perfect travel companions, because they help regulate and maintain a balanced skin tone and provide all-day nourishment. To learn more, visit the Lotions & Toners page.
Question: What is your favorite lotion or toner formula?